Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I spent $2,295 yesterday

At the dentist...

The total estimate for ALL the work I need(ed) is $4922. That's a root canal, crown buildup and crown and amalgam fillings for eight cavities. It represents about five years of me avoiding the dentist out of fear. (You can read about the fear at mandajuice). We have dental insurance, which my dentist accepts, but it's only $1,000 per year, so I decided to have half the work done now and half done in January.

Yesterday I had just the root canal and crown done and along with the general anesthesia ($575 per hour totally not covered by insurance), the total AFTER the $1,000 our insurance kicked in was $2295. If I DON'T have general anesthesia when I get the rest of my work done, I'll be out only another $400 or so. Yesterday's anesthesia was $1200. I'm sure it was worth it, if only for the fact that it got my butt in the dentist's chair again.

The thing I keep beating myself up about is that the estimate to completely repair EVERYTHING in my mouth two years ago? Was $800. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently found you ... from CityMama ...

I share your fear ... and NEED to go in (but I don't wanna!)

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon, both from the work done on your mouth and the sticker shock (no matter how prepared, that has got to be quite a shock).

Looking at the numbers you give, I'm so thankful for my dental coverage in which I pay pretty much for nothing.

I hear you on not wanting to go though, but then again, who on earth looks forward to going to the dentist?

LizP said...

I have three words for you for 2009 ... flexible spending account! :-)

My sympathies for the rest!!!